Tuesday, July 21, 2020

breast blisters

I have never seen this on a chicken of mine before. If you ever had breast blisters before you probly know exactly what I'm talking about. but for those who don't let me show you a photo 1st. Here hes laying on his back. I pulled his legs down out of the way. Hes a great docile bird.

 What you see is the woind hole on is his chest and keel bone.   That whole is resting on top of the bone. If you've ever cooked a Turkey for Thanksgiving you'll know the bone comes to a point and the ridge goes quite a ways down to the their belly. 

 There is a thin layer membrane that covers over the bone. and when a cut happened through his skin, bacteria had opportunity to enter.. and the body started forming a type of fatty sack of some sort around the infections. 
 I normally weigh my birds to make sure that they're gaining the amount of weight they should be gaining from chick to adults and this is one of those moments.   When I weighed him I saw that he had actually lost 2 pounds from a month ago. That's a huge amount of weight to lose for a young roo. 

 It's amazing that even though I had picked him up and I had weighed him I hadn't felt this month on his chest. But now that I know he had lost weight there is something wrong I investigated and found that wound. Initially the wound had a black scab over it. It was swallowin so my 1st attempt was to manipulate to see if the lump freely moved or it was attached to his bone.  It was free floating it could be manipulated and the black scab actually released from the side of the wound. I'm in a plated just a little bit more and I could tell that there was a large cavity behind the lump that was attached to the black scab.  

 I was able to remove 2 of the lumps underneath the skin but there was 2 more lumps in way farther which ran parallel with his Keel bone. That was how the infection was spreading through his body, by following the edge of the keel bone. 

 Now it's been several days and the wound has lost its pink and red colors it is turned back to Flash colors the edges of the round wound have become smaller and it is very close to closing up. he is much more mobile and active since I removed those lumps.

For the first 4 days i treated him twice a day by filling up the hole with antibiotic... because the wound is pointing down I didn't wanna cover it. I left it uncovered.. I wanted any pus or bacteria to be able to drip out.

So far so good!

 I'll update later as to his improvement and recovery but I think hes going to be



No comments:

Post a Comment