Monday, May 11, 2020

kenny

Kenny is now 4 months old. It is amazing to watch his coloration fill in as he grows into a Rooster.
I have him matched with the neighbors Venus. The other roosters steal her away, Kenny isnt on the bottom of the pecking order, he just does not care for the dominance game yet. As I watch him mature, I have noticed something. His maturity is slower. Much like Gravy I remember the first time I noticed Gravy was not developing as quickly as the rest if his clutch mates. I kept him instead of some of the beautiful mottle brothers, a decision I regretted for a long time. I had worried his brassy color would ruin my phenotype. Gravys body structure was huge, legs, chest breadth, and his tail feathers took forever compared to everyone elses to come in. So, this is the first hatchling since Gravy I've seen that has same slow large growth characteristics. I can only assume it is from RJ. RJ was the rooster i got who still hadn't had his spurs. I was told he was just under a year. 
 
When you research into wyandottes, they are known for this slow growth. Check out this link Wyandotte history and information
"It takes 18 months for a Wyandotte to fully mature so that means a lot of feed goes into growing out a pen of Wyandottes." And to note, the wyandottes I obtained in 2019 took 8 months to lay their first egg. 

It is absolutely interesting to see how this "gene" of slower growth can skip generations and siblings and randomly appear in the grandchild. Any thoughts?

Take care,  SpotOnFarm



No comments:

Post a Comment