Monday, May 4, 2020

not opal rejects chick.

Not sure why, but on Sunday morning while letting the adults out, the egg Not Opal had been incubating had hatched but Not Opal was gone. Other hens were standing above the chick, looking over the nest box, the egg shell that she hatched from was oddly thrown onto the coop floor leaving this wet, cold and pathetic chick all alone to fend herself from the bewildered others. I picked her up and felt her belly perfectly bloated from the last stage of development prior to hatching. She is tiny and small and barely 33g and was not  making any noises. Her eyes kept closing which is never a good sign. I knew she wouldn't last much longer. 

I brought her into the house and into the incubator. She did not have enough strength to stand up long, but she tried with her splayed weak legs, for the humid heat was welcoming. As she did she fell onto her back; I righted her. She slumped onto the floor, eyes closed and slept. As the day progressed she worried me at times. But she never gave up. Morning came today and she is much better. She is standing now, fluffed up and chirping and attempting to eat food. I gave her electrolytes in her water. She still needs time in the incubator but it is looking promising for her survival. 

What should I name her?

No comments:

Post a Comment